Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Response: Global Warming Lecture

Until our lecture with Dr. Karowe on Monday, I guess it was safe to say that I was definitely a “global warming skeptic.” I mean, before that lecture, I somewhat believed in global climate change but I felt like the term “global warming” was a term that the media hijacked and made out to be a bigger deal than it needs to be. In 2004, Hollywood played with this idea with the release of the film The Day AfterTomorrow where a scientist is forced to brave a global climate shift (due to global warming) in order to save his estranged son.
However, Dr. Karowe’s lecture on Monday seriously opened my eyes that maybe the media, including Hollywood, weren’t blowing this situation out of proportion anyway, and that maybe global warming is a bigger deal than I thought it would be.

A lot of people make the argument that making the switch to alternate energy would be incredibly expensive, however, according to Dr. Karowe’s lecture, it would actually cost us more money if we didn’t do anything at all.
This is a really serious point that I had not taken into consideration. When you factor in the cost of alternate, green energy and compare it to the damage done by the amount of CO2 emissions we pump into our air, it’s only logical that the cheapest solution would be making the switch to clean energy and start the phasing out process of coal.
I also found out that 40% of earth’s surface is used for agriculture, which is a little less than half however, 25% of the land is too dry for agriculture.
I believe that when you factor in issues of global warming, it will only compound this problem. However, my biggest fear is seeing the price of gasoline and food increase over the next few decades because people are refusing to think about alternative ways of getting our energy.
I was pleased to see that he had mentioned that buying a more fuel efficient vehicle can help you reduce your carbon footprint on the planet. When I get my first big job, I hope to find a newer and more fuel-efficient vehicle to drive.
It’s not much on my part, but I’m really hoping that my generation can start to turn this problem around.

1 comment:

  1. It is intersting to hear you say that you were a “global warming skeptic.” I think many people share this same opinion as you.

    ReplyDelete